HR 4617, The SHIELD Act
Committee on House Administration Chairperson Zoe Lofgren introduced the Stopping Harmful Interference in Elections for a Lasting Democracy (SHIELD) Act, to protect our elections from foreign interference and disinformation campaigns.
Investigations and whistleblower accounts have detailed extensive communications between the Trump White House, the Trump campaign, and foreign governments or their agents. Federal investigators found that President Trump and at least 17 of his campaign officials and advisors had more than 100 contacts with Russians and Wikileaks. Now, the President has solicited foreign interference in the 2020 American elections from multiple foreign governments.
The SHIELD Act protects our elections from foreign interference by:
- Creating a duty to report illicit offers of campaign assistance from foreign governments and their agents.
- Improving transparency of online political advertisements.
- Closing loopholes that allow foreign nationals and foreign governments to spend in U.S. elections.
- Restricting the exchange of campaign information between candidates and foreign governments and their agents.
- Prohibiting deceptive practices about voting procedures.
From Chairperson Zoe Lofgren:
"Most Americans know that foreign governments have no business interfering in our elections. Instead, the Trump campaign and White House have welcomed and repeatedly solicited foreign assistance for his political activities. This behavior is unacceptable, and it is telling that the White House has gone to great lengths to hide it from the American people.
The SHIELD Act will protect our elections from foreign interference by closing loopholes that allow dishonest behavior, increasing disclosure and transparency requirements, and ensuring that individuals engaging in conduct with foreign actors intending to influence the outcome of our elections will be held accountable by law.”
Click here for a two-page summary of the SHIELD Act.
Click here for a section-by-section summary of the SHIELD Act.
Click here for the SHIELD Act bill text.