September 26, 2023
WASHINGTON - Committee on House Administration Chairman Bryan Steil (WI-01) and Ranking Member Joe Morelle (NY-25) hosted a bipartisan roundtable discussion on current U.S. Copyright Office modernization efforts.
Following the roundtable discussion, Chairman Steil and Ranking Member Morelle released the following statements:
"The U.S. Copyright Office plays a critical role in our economy, said Chairman Steil. "Today's roundtable was a great first step in ensuring the U.S. Copyright Office is operating effectively and in a modern capacity. I look forward to working with Ranking Member Morelle to advance nonpartisan solutions to substantively address the issues we face. "
“The best way to both evaluate the Copyright Office’s current modernization efforts and plan for additional upgrades is to hear from the people who interact with it most," said Ranking Member Morelle. "This discussion will help us ensure our nation’s copyright system is efficient, productive, and meeting the needs of Americans in the 21st century."
- Todd A. Carpenter - Executive Director, National Information Standards Organization
- Susan Chertkof - Senior Vice President, Legal and Regulatory Affairs, Recording Industry Association of America, Inc.
- Brewster Kahle - Founder and Digital Librarian, Internet Archive
- Roy Kaufman - Managing Director, Business Development and Government Relations, Copyright Clearance Center
- Keith Kupferschmid - President/CEO, Copyright Alliance
- Melissa Levine - Director, Copyright Office, University of Michigan Library
- Pamela Malpas - Chair of the Copyright Committee, Association of American Literary Agents
- Jeffrey Sedlik - Professor, Art Center College of Design